Q) Will I be able to come back and practice in the UK upon completion of my degree?

Answer: All of the courses we offer in Medicine and Dentistry are GMC/GDC approved; meaning that upon returning to the UK, you are fully qualified to apply for a job. This essentially places you in the same position as Medical and Dental graduates from the UK.

Q) If I am from the UK, will I have to sit an exam when I have completed my degree and return to the UK?

Answer: No. All of the courses we offer and universities we work with are approved by the GMC/GDC and hence you will not be required to sit extra exams that other international graduates normally sit (eg. PLAB test).

Q) How quickly will I need to learn the language of the European country?

Answer: The fact that you are doing an English course means you are not expected to know the language. All lectures and labs will be taught in English. However, you will have separate language lessons as part of your degree to learn the new language. It is normally required to have a basic understanding of Medical terms in the country's native language, by the time you reach your clinical years (3rd year onwards). This has never been a problem for international students from the UK.

Q) How does the style of teaching compare to that of Medical schools in the UK?

Answer: The first 2 years of your education will be heavily theory based (classroom teaching and lectures). The reason for this is to build a strong base and be the base of your learning in the clinical years (3rd year onwards) to be as effective as possible. In general, the clinical years are a lot more practical when compared to clinical years in the UK.

Q) Will there be other UK students on my course?

Answer: All of the universities we work with are extremely popular with international students; UK students in particular. So, you will have many other UK students studying with you as well as in the years above.

Q) Will all of the teaching be in English?

Answer: Yes. We only offer are English courses so you will be taught everything (labs, lectures, clinicals) in English!

Q) What subjects will I study in the first year?

Answer: After the application stage, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide covering everything you will need to know about your first year studies, in order to help you prepare for your transition!

Q) What are the key holiday dates for Christmas/Easter/Summer?

Answer: The holiday dates in Eastern European universities are very similar to what you will be used to in the UK. You will receive around 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 - 2 weeks for Easter and 6 weeks for Summer!

Q) What are the university rules with regards to attendance?

Answer: Eastern European universities have a strict view on attendance to labs and lectures, which is compulsory. However, you may request to be excused for missed lessons for legitimate reasons (eg. illness, emergency etc.)

Q) How long will my application take to process?

Answer: Once you have provided us with the required documents, we will deal with your entire application. We liaise closely with the admissions departments at our partner universities to ensure you will have an offer from the university within 3-6 weeks of submitting your documents!

Q) How challenging are the entrance tests that are required by some universities?

Answer: The entrance tests are considered very much do-able if you prepare beforehand. Not only do we offer for you to sit your entrance test in the UK (as opposed to sitting in the country of your chosen university), we also exclusively offer preparatory courses tailored specifically to the content of the entrance tests. Our pass rate among students who have undertaken the preparatory course is usually 95%+.

Q) Will I need any vaccinations?

Answer: It is advised that you attain Hepatitis vaccinations prior to the commencement of your studies. This is normally a 3 dose vaccine given over a course of 6 months, or a fast track vaccine given over one month. Some universities have extra requirements which we will inform you about upon application.

Q) What documents do I need when applying?

Answer: You will need a variety of documents which may be different depending on the university you are applying to. Please contact us and speak to our advisors regarding the admission documents that you require.

Q) I would like to visit the university that I am interested in applying to, but how do I organise the trip?

Answer: As part of our service we will help you organise your visit, whether this involves making hotel reservations at discounted prices exclusive to us, arranging airport transfers, arranging university and city tours, or even meeting current students!

Q) Will I need to formally enrol at the university?

Answer: Yes. This can be a stressful process if you are unaided by a consultancy. Our representatives travel with you to the university and help you with the entire enrolment process! This includes filling out all the necessary paperwork and helping you with paying your semester fees, saving you the stress of going through it alone.

Q) When is the application deadline for applying?

Answer: The deadlines vary depending on the university. However, the earlier you apply, the earlier you will get your acceptance letter. Please speak to our advisors for more information on application deadlines.

Q) How long does legalisation and notarisation take?

Answer: This depends on which service you take.

Q) Will I be able to take out loan to cover my tuition fees?

Answer: Many of our universities offer a student loan and we can assist you with the relatively simple process of applying for one, if required. Please refer to our 'University Information' section for more information about which universities offer a loan.

Q) Will I be able to take out a maintenance loan to cover my living costs?

Answer: European universities currently do not provide a maintenance loan to international students.

Q) What are the living costs like in Bulgaria/Czech Republic/Latvia?

Answer: Eastern Europe has relatively lower living costs when compared to the UK. For more detailed information on living costs, please visit the 'Studying Medicine in Europe' section, where you will find separate pages for living costs and accommodation for each university.

Q) Will I have to open a bank account when I arrive?

Answer: Most students choose to open a bank account in the country they are studying in however this isn’t necessary. Some students choose to carry on using their UK bank accounts to receive/send/ withdraw money.

Q) Do I have to pay tuition fees for my sixth year?

Answer: Yes. Although you will be a junior doctor, the sixth year is an important part of your course and therefore requires completion in order for you to receive your degree. You will therefore be required to pay tuition fees for this year.

Q) Are there any scholarships available from the universities that give financial aid?

Answer: Unfortunately, there are currently no universities offering scholarships to international students.

Q) Are there money exchange places readily available?

Answer: Yes. There are plenty of places to exchange money; offering extremely competitive rates. We will provide you with a detailed information guide before your relocation and this will contain plenty of information on finances, as well as the best places to exchange money!

Q) I don’t know anything about the country, so how will I find and apply for accommodation?

Answer: With Tutelage Ltd, you are never alone. As part of our service, we provide all students with assistance in finding accommodation. Our representatives will travel with you and stay with the students to ensure everyone is settled in properly. We work with only the most trusted and reputable estate agents to secure our students are provided with high quality and affordable apartments.

Q) What kind of accommodation do most students stay in?

Answer: The vast majority of international students stay in private accommodation/ apartments. Support with securing accommodation is included in our transition support. We work exclusively with legitimate estate agents to help you find the highest quality and cheapest accommodation. Please refer to the 'Studying Medicine in Europe' section to see specific accommodation information for each university.

Q) How will I find someone to share accommodation with?

Answer: Many of our students intend on sharing accommodation with someone. So, if you would like to share accommodation with someone, we will be able to help you by putting you in contact with others who would also like to share before travelling.

Q) Will I set up WiFi/TV in my accommodation?

Answer: Yes. During the relocation period, our representatives will be with you to help you settle in. They will be able to assist you with setting up WiFi and TV in your accommodation.

Q) Will I receive help in setting up a phone contract or getting a local sim?

Answer: Yes. Our representatives always assist our students with phone contracts and local sims upon arrival!

Q) Where will I buy food/household necessities when I have moved into my accommodation?

Answer: Once you arrive in the country, Tutelage representatives can assist you with that.

Q) Are there any local mosques/churches close to the university?

Answer: Yes. You may be surprised to learn that all of our partner universities have atleast one mosque and many churches, in very close proximity to them!

Q) Will there be halal meat available in the city I will live in or close by?

Answer: Yes! There are hundreds of international students of all backgrounds studying at all of our partner universities. The demand for halal meat is quite high and it is therefore readily available in the local area of all our partner universities.

Q) What is the best/cheapest way to travel around the city?

Answer: Public transport is usually readily available at most of our partner universities.

Q) How do I make a Bulgarian ID card?

Answer: The process of making your Bulgarian ID card will begin once you are in Bulgaria. It involves gathering several documents and going to several institutions. Tutelage Ltd will assist you in making your Bulgarian ID card as part of our relocation service! We will advise you on what documents to gather and where you need to go. All in all, your ID card will take 3-4 days to make.

Q) Upon graduation, will I be able to come and work in the UK straight away?

Answer: Yes. All our universities are in Europe and GMC/GDC approved; meaning that upon graduation, you will be able to register with the GMC/GDC in the UK and will be able to apply for a FY2 paid training position.

Q) How do I apply to work in the UK after completing my degree?

Answer: We will support you from the beginning of your application, throughout your education, till graduation and beyond. We will assist you with applying for a job after graduation. Furthermore, we will exclusively be able to secure FY1/FY2 positions for our students as soon as they graduate!

Q) I would like to work in a country outside of Europe after I graduate, how will I go about this?

Answer: Our specialist representatives will be able to assist you with and advise you on the steps required to work outside of Europe, to ensure maximal success in securing a job outside of Europe. We will be able to assist you with exams such as the USMLE and equivalents when required.

Q) If I am from the UK, will I have to sit an exam when I have completed my degree and return to the UK?

Answer: No. All of the courses we offer and universities we work with are approved by the GMC/GDC and hence, you will not be required to sit extra exams that other international graduates normally sit (eg. PLAB test)

Q) What does the sixth year of medicine comprise and why is there an extra year as compared to the UK?

Answer: The sixth year consists of hospital rotations as a junior doctor in various major subjects. It is equivalent to the FY1 in the UK and essentially levels out as you will be able to apply for a FY2 position in the UK upon graduation.

Q) Do I have to pay tuition fees for my sixth year?

Answer: Yes. Although you will be a junior doctor, the sixth year is an important part of your course and therefore requires completion in order for you to receive your degree. You will therefore be required to pay tuition fees for this year.